Blog #5
Select 3 Things you have learned this quarter and describe how your thoughts changed, developed, or were reinforced by our course work. Be sure to connect to readings and/or class discussions.
I have learned so much from this course over time I started out this course thinking that it was going to be all about how to prevent misbehavior but it was not at all just that. I learned so much in regards to all three phases of management. I didn't even know what the three phases were before this course and now I know what each phase is and how to use all of these phases effectively in the classroom. Another thing I learned a lot about is what my specific management style is and that my teaching style is in between student centered and collaborative. The other big idea we learned about was the risks of using praise and punishment in the classroom. I now know that praise is not always a good thing. If you praise students too often then they are going to constantly seek your approval and when you stop giving them praise or another teacher doesn't give them praise all the time they won't think that they are successful. When it comes to punishment I now know my style of punishment which is much more towards the natural and logical consequences, I am not going to have a system where they miss out on a certain amount of recess and then go to the office and etc. I would much rather have them encounter a natural punishment and then if that does not work give more of a logical punishment for my students. Overall I learned so much I would probably go on forever but I am so excited about everything I have learned and how much I can utilize in my future classroom, this was a very valuable course for me as a future educator!
Identify one challenge/concern/question you still have about classroom management. Explain your thoughts about this issue.
One question I still have when it comes to classroom management is what to do if a student is constantly a disturbance in the classroom or just will not participate. I would love to do activities such as the community circle but what if I have a student or multiple who either just do not want to participate or are constantly disturbing. I don't want to kick them out of the class for that time because I think it would benefit them but I also don't want to disturb the learning for the rest of the class. I have seen this when helping at my aunts school and am just curious how you would go about dealing with that in the best way to help the student learn but not disturb the learning for everyone else?

Comments
Post a Comment