Blog #4
The use of rewards is very popular amongst many teachers especially the younger grades such as elementary school. I personally believe that the use of rewards can be acceptable sometimes but not all the time. I think maybe using rewards every once in a while with something big that students are accomplishing in the classroom is fine and can help motivate them but having students rely on those rewards for all of their motivation is something that I don't believe is super beneficial. A quote that really stood out to me from the Anderman article on using rewards efficelty was “Nevertheless, the assumption that the rewards can eventually be removed and that the behavior will continue may or may not prove to be true.” This quote supports my theory that having students rely on rewards too much may not be beneficial to the students because then when they don't have rewards one day they will be struggling to find that inner motivation.
The use of life skills as well as acknowledgements in the classroom is one of my favorite ideas that we have talked about so far in this course, I think this is such a great idea to help students use those words in context and help them put those life skills vocabulary words to real life examples in their lives. This helps put a lot of meaning behind these words rather than just posting the list of vocabulary in the classroom and not really going over them in depth. I would love to use this idea in my future classroom and would probably do what Gus mentioned in the video which was having the students have time throughout the week to sit in a big circle and use those lifeskills to praise their peers and help give each other acknowledgements. I believe that giving students acknowledgments in the classroom is a great thing and something I will be sure to incorporate in my classroom, I believe it will not only help build that classroom community but also help my students build better friendships within the classroom with one another and have something each week that is super meaningful and positive.

Overall great discussion, I totally believe that rewards are a great reinforcement within the classroom it pushes them to try harder and embrace what they are learning. I like how you would use this at times not always because students get used to it. Moreover, I like how you stated that the life skills builds a positive atmosphere within the community.
ReplyDelete