Blog #1
How are your initial thoughts about management already changing or being reinforced?
I have a lot of thoughts relating to management already this quarter. I honestly thought coming into this class that it was mainly going to be about how to keep your classroom under control and make rules for your classroom but I have already realized that it is going to be so much more than that. I am so excited to get to really gain more knowledge on how to create an amazing classroom environment for my students and learn different strategies to use in my classroom. I think that there are so many different aspects of management and I don't know much at all so especially as a new teacher I believe that everything we learn this quarter is going to be super valuable.
How do Charles' three purposes for management (he calls it classroom discipline) complement each other?
Charles three purposes for management complement each other in a few ways. All three of those objectives are related and all three are valuable benefits that discipline can give in a classroom. Some of the benefits talked about were maintaining a safe environment for your students, promotes responsible behavior and helps students develop self control. All three of these benefits are super important in my opinion in order to create a great classroom environment for my students. I believe that it is super important that my students feel safe and still have responsibilities for their behaviors and respect for one another as well as for the teacher.
Which authority base are you most attracted to? Why that one?
The authority base that I am most attracted to is the referent authority because with this authority students really value their teacher and respect them both as a teacher and as a person. This strategy is so important to me because I really value having a positive relationship with my students and having them respect me and know that they can always come to me if they need anything. The other three authority bases did not sit as well with me as the referent authority base did, that one definitely lined up with my values and how I want to be as a teacher.

Celynne,
ReplyDeleteI had the same initial expectations for this course and they were also far exceeded. I am also very excited for this course because of the new mindset that I will have by the end of it regarding classroom management. By the end of this course I hope to learn how to, and gain experience in teaching my students how to monitor their own behavior and improve their self-control. I really liked what Gus said about taking advantage of teachable moments in the classroom. Classroom management is something that will be indirectly taught throughout the school day and without a written lesson.
Ashlyn,
DeleteI am also excited for what we are going to learn but also know a lot of classroom management will be teaching moments that happen in the classroom.
Celynne, I really liked your blog post! I also was under the same first impression of a classroom management class. When I first hear that, I think about learning all the secrets of keeping your classroom under control and running smoothly 24/7, but as Gus has mentioned to us, that is not reality. Each classroom with be different and we will have to learn a lot of it as we go. I am excited for this class though to learn new strategies for how to deal with certain situations. Great post!
ReplyDeleteI am also excited to learn how to handle specific situations and gain as much information as possible to try and help prepare us as much as we can be before going into the classroom on our own.
DeleteCelynne, I enjoyed reading your post! I too am glad that this class takes a more holistic, deeper approach to classroom management! I think it's so important to change my outlook in regards to want to 'control' my classroom. This classroom has helped remind me of positive classroom experiences I've had, so i've been reflecting on what those teachers have done in those situations regarding classroom management to make it such a positive environment. One thing that I keep coming back to from thinking of those and from the readings is respect. I think a respect between teachers and students is so critical for a healthy and positive classroom environment. I agree with what you said about the three purposes relate to each other. They all need one another to be productive and positive, and none is more important than the other, and they all make the other two stronger! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteLauren,
DeleteI totally agree with you that respect is so important, I think it helps everything a ton when students respect their teacher and the teacher respects their students as well. That is something I will definitely be striving for in my future classroom as well.
Hi,
ReplyDeleteI felt the same when coming into the classroom. I hope that throughout this quarter we learn so much of behavior and classroom management so we can put them into full effect in the future. If we keep the classroom healthy it will make the class as a whole more stronger . Overall great post !
I am also excited to learn as much as we can this quarter because I think all of the information that we learn will be super valuable in our future classrooms!
Delete